Substance Abuse / Marchman Act
If someone you love is currently suffering from an addiction and substance abuse problem, there is a legal way to get them help. At Gary Roberts and Associates, we understand the special issues involved in representing substance abusers, their families and loved ones. Our attorneys can help you petition the court so that your loved one receives:
Court Ordered Assessments
We will attend the necessary hearings with you and help you prepare all of the required documentation necessary to get your loved one the help they need.
Marchman Act Attorneys
The Florida Marchman Act is a civil procedure that allows the close relations of a substance abuser to petition the court to order the assessment, stabilization and treatment of the individual. Drug, alcohol and other substance abuse issues can be the reason for this intervention. Based upon a Marchman Act petition, the court can issue an order that requires an impaired individual to enter into a drug and alcohol assessment, stabilization and/or treatment program. The key to this court order is that the impaired individual must comply with the court ordered drug and alcohol, assessment, stabilization and treatment or face consequences.
Substance Dependency is a Disease
Drug use in America is also more commonplace than it once was. In today's teenage population over 90 percent have used alcohol. Over 50 percent have used marijuana, 17 percent admit to trying cocaine and 12.5 percent have used some form of hallucinogen.
When drinking or drug use becomes a means for coping with life's problems it can turn into addiction.
Some startling Information:
• The average age of first experimentation with drugs is 13, and for alcohol it is even younger. Drug use has been classified as a major problem for kids as early as fourth grade by the students themselves.
• Alcohol is the most widely used drug in America. It is the third largest cause of death in the United States, second only to heart disease and cancer. Alcohol and tobacco use are a significant "risk factor" in heart disease and cancer.
• It accounts for over 100,000 deaths per year in this country alone. It is also the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15 and 24.
• Alcohol and other drugs contribute to over 50 percent of all suicides and over 50 percent of all violent crimes.
• Over 60 percent of admissions to emergency rooms are either directly or indirectly due to drug or alcohol usage.
• Over 50 percent of all traffic accidents involve the use of drugs or alcohol, with many of these being fatal.
• It is estimated that drugs and alcohol are a factor in at least 80 percent of domestic violence incidents.
• Alcohol and drug use contributes to 60 percent of all sub-standard job performance and at least 40 percent of all industrial accidents.
• Alcohol and drug addiction are treatable. However, it is our most untreated disease in the United States. It is estimated that 35 out of 36 alcoholics never receive treatment of any kind. This number is increased significantly when
drug addiction of all kinds is included.
• More than 60 percent of college women who have contracted sexually transmitted diseases, herpes or AIDS were intoxicated at the time of infection.
• 28 percent of all college dropouts are alcohol users.
• Between 1986 and 1996, Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) arrests were highest for 21-year-olds.
• Individuals between the ages of 16 and 24 are involved in more than one-third of all alcohol related traffic accidents.
• 95 percent of all college campus violence is alcohol related.
Under the Florida Marchman Act, a substance abuser cannot refuse help once a court order is issued. The initial hearing can serve as an important intervention tool. Should an individual’s substance abuse problem create an immediate danger to themselves or others it is possible to obtain an emergency order to immediately deliver the individual to a licensed facility for assessment, detox and stabilization
The civil trial lawyers at Gary Roberts & Associates, P.A. include a board certified neurosurgeon engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery for more than thirty-five (35) years as well as an experienced former registered nurse at Yale-New Haven Hospital. All of our lawyers, with their medical background, working together with our board certified civil trial lawyer, provide an incredible insight into the issues faced in the area of substance abuse. Gary Roberts & Associates, P.A. is unique and one of very few law firms across the country having the depth of medically trained trial lawyers.
Social Media Tags: florida marchman act, substance abuse issues, drug use in america, drug and alcohol assessment, substance dependency, drug and alcohol, getting help for alcohol and drug abuse